On September 18-19, 2013, to advance the practice of leopard transboundary conservation WCS China hosted the 2nd Hunchun Workshop of the Amur Leopard International Conservation Specialist Working Group in Hunchun, Jilin Province, jointly with Forestry Bureau of Jilin Province, Zoology Institute of China Academe of Science, and WWF Northeast China Office.
In this workshop, the Amur conservation team of WWF Russia introduced the results of Amur leopard snow survey during winter 2012-3. WCS Russia program shared a summary of the infrared camera-trap monitoring achievements of the last decade, and the best practices developed, such as data entry forms, standards for reporting and the construction of a unified database. The Forestry Bureau of Jilin Province presented a preliminary progress report of camera trap monitoring in Jilin province in spring 2013.
Additionally, Primorski Krai and Jilin Province reached a consensus on:
1) adopting a unified methodology, standards for reporting and central database to conduct camera-trap monitoring;
2) studying the impact of Sino-Russian border fences on tigers and leopards habitat, including their prey transpassing the border; and
3) implementing a joint Sino-Russian plan to survey and track the Amur leopard in Jilin province.
Wu Zhigang, researcher of Institute of Forestry Science of Jilin Province, was introducing border fence
Participating agencies and organizations:
- The Federal State Government-financed Organization, United Administration of the State Nature Biosphere Reserve "Kedrovaya Pad" and "Land of the Leopard" National Park
- Administration of Hunting of Primorski Krai
- Institute of Geography, Far Eastern Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences
- Forestry Bureau of Jilin Province
- Institute of Forestry Science of Jilin Province
- Zoology Institute of China Academe of Science
- Jilin Hunchun Amur Tiger National Natural Reserve
- Jilin Wangqing National Natural Reserve
- Wangqing County Forestry Bureau
- Amur branch of WWF Russia and WWF Northeast China Office
- WCS Russia and WCS China