The Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS), founded in 1895, is a non-profit tax-exempt private organization dedicated to saving wildlife through science, conservation, education, and inspiration. WCS inspires more and more people from around the globe to value nature and wildlife. Operating in China since 1996, WCS has engaged in a multitude of conservation activities including the reduction of the consumer demand for ivory, combating of the illegal trade of endangered species, encouragement of sustainable development, promotion for the peaceful coexistence between wildlife and human communities in Tibet, and development of safer habitats for Siberian Tigers and Snow Leopards. WCS has four offices in China, Beijing, Guangzhou, Lhasa, and Hunchun.
Reporting to the Communication Manager, the Communication Officer will take charge of new media channel operations, content development, and online sentiments monitoring to consistently articulate WCS China mission. The Communication Officer will design creative online campaigns and support the team to achieve WCS strategic goals and short-term implementation objectives. The Communication Officer will work closely with Communications team members. Main responsibilities include:
1. Responsible for updating, maintaining, and operating WCS’s new media platforms to enhance WCS’s reputation and activity level;
2. Responsible for updating, maintaining, and managing WCS’s official site;
3. Responsible for planning and implementing new media projects to enhance WCS’s brand image, as well as expanding the influence and outreach of each project;
4. Responsible for collecting and analyzing data from new media operations, and for tracking the effect of each promotion;
5. Responsible for collecting and analyzing data of successful cases as well as data regarding new media operations from other organizations in order to provide reference and support for WCS’s new media operations;
6. Being sensitive to wildlife related news, policies, public opinions, and actively leverage resources such as hot online trends and key opinion leaders to optimize communication effectiveness;
7. Being sensitive to new media tools like APPs & HTML 5, and developing related resources;
8. Support the team with planning and strategizing, as well as complete summaries and reports as needed;
9. Utilize the new media platforms to support other WCS teams in communications or media projects;
10. Responsible for building and managing WCS’s volunteer team;
11. Responsible for temporary tasks or projects, including but not limited to offline activities, media interviews, graphics and video editing, meetings, and business trips.
1. Social science educational background, majors in communications, public relations or advertising related fields are preferred;
2. Bachelor or above
3. 3-5 years work experience for Bachelors or 1-3 years work experience for Masters.
4. Candidates with work experience as reporters, editors, television editors, or other positions in brand communications or public relations are preferred;
5. Candidates with communications experience or internship experience in NGOs are preferred.
Knowledge, skills, and abilities:
1. Solid knowledge of social marketing theory, being familiar with the variety of popular Internet products and platforms, and having strong interest and unique understanding of social platforms including Weibo, WeChat, SNS, blogs and BBS;
2. Ability to take quick actions on policy or news, and being good at making communication strategies and tactics by leveraging social trends;
3. Excellent writing skills and zest of innovation; Being good at drafting social media content by leveraging hot topics and social trends;
4. Excellent data analyzing skills. Being good at understanding the data and guide daily work according to the data analysis.
5. Ability to make achievable work plans, and complete the job timely and efficiently.
6. Commitment to the mission and values of WCS; willingness to understand China’s role in addressing the existing conservation challenges;
7. Written and spoken fluency in both Mandarin Chinese and English.
Please submit an application to the email@example.com in Chinese and English by 12pm May 1st including your CV, availability and a cover letter.